Monday, March 16, 2009

Paint, Paint and More Paint!!!
















I am happy and relieved to announce that we finally painted the entire first level of our home…in one weekend! No more gross peachy yellow in the family room and kitchen, no more horrid yellow in the formal living room, no more army green in the entry and hallway. My home is now soft, serene and tranquil. All the rooms flow together nicely and feel warm and inviting. What a difference a fresh coat of paint can make. Painting always seems like such an overwhelming task. Honestly, it’s not the most fun I have ever had on a weekend, but it was good to spend time with my husband and good to make our home have a little bit more our style.

Paint is an easy and somewhat inexpensive way to spruce up a space. But it can be a real pain and a challenge picking out the right color. Here are some helpful tips on picking out paint colors for your home.

-Look for color repetition already in your home.
-Open your closet and note the tones you wear most.
-Women, look at the hues in your make up.
-Go to the paint store and see what color families attract you.
-Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers that you like. What colors are you holding?
-Think about your favorite memories, experiences, and vacations-the times you felt most happy -and peaceful. What colors surrounded you? Look through photos albums to trigger memories.
-Flip through magazines and catalogs or check out websites to see what spaces are most appealing to you.
-Pay close attention to how you feel when you walk into different spaces.

When picking out my paint color, I used a few of these techniques. I looked at my closet…lots of browns and earthy tones so I knew that would be a good direction for me. I also looked to my favorite vacation spots, which are mostly beaches. All the colors I chose have a bit of a beach feel to them. I also paid close attention to pictures in magazines and what colors I was drawn to.

Picking paint is difficult, even for the trained eye. Trust your instincts. You know what colors you like and what colors will actually work in your home. As I have said in previous posts, just because a color is “trendy” does not mean it will work in your home with your stuff!! Be true to who you are, but be true to who your house is to.

I hope your next painting project is as gratifying as mine was! It was well worth the work!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE it! I have picked a color like this before, but Gav goes for lighter neutrals, so I never get my way. I too go toward beachy tones. LOVE the Beach! You're house looks calm and peaceful. I love it :)

Marie said...

Thanks for posting this. We've been living in our current house for about three years and I haven't painted any rooms since the two I did when we first moved in.

However, we had a big change in our kitchen, so after reading this post, it's got me motivated to actually paint and start decorating.

Linda said...

I love the colors you have chosen, including those of your dining room in your previous post. You definately have invoked the beachy feel you are going for. I love the color of your kitchen walls against your pretty white cabinets.